Consider these selling tips:
• Do market research for price range of your EV make and model, in your area.
• Setting a fair price for your vehicle is important, to sell quickly.
• Set asking price to allow room for negotiation, remember buyer has to pay sales tax.
• Take into consideration mileage, mechanical condition, trim level and special features.
• Clean the vehicle to make it presentable, your car will show better in photos.
• Have your EV service records available, know about the mechanical history so you can answer all the questions.
• Be honest with the buyer, if your vehicle has any issues let them know about it.
• It's wise to have vehicle history report on hand to be transparent about the accident history, registration history, lien status.
• You should consider having receipts, invoices and records of your EV maintenance.
• Obtain a Used Vehicle Information Package from the Ministry of Transportation.
• Check with the vehicle manufacture if remaining warranty is transferable.
• Getting Safety Certificate can be the responsibility of the buyer or seller, this can be negotiated with the final price.
• Collect the full payment by a certified cheque / bank draft or cash, do not accept a personal cheques.
• Finalizing a deal, you needs to complete transfer of ownership and record mileage, both parties must sign transfer of ownership.
• Both parties must also sign the bill of sale.
• Picture is worth a thousand words, good photos attract more buyers.
• Use your smart phone to take photos of your vehicle, so you can upload it directly.
• Car wash, before you shoot your vehicle make sure the vehicle is clean and presentable.
• Location, find an open space where there aren’t other vehicles in the background, an empty parking space.
• Timing, best first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset, during this time sun provides a warm colours.
• Be honest when taking photos of a your vehicle, by not hiding its flaws.
How you can sell safely:
• Contact the buyer directly by phone, if the phone does not work ask for correct number by email.
• Arrange a meeting with the buyer so that you can show your vehicle.
• Make sure the buyer has a valid driver's license, for a test drive.
• Prepare vehicle history report and lien information, gives buyer all details about your vehicle past.
• Collect full payment by a certified cheque / bank draft or cash.
Be wary of fraud:
• Buyer refuses to talk via telephone, fraud is usually email based.
• Buyer says meeting is impossible, or out of country buyers.
• Fraudulent buyer usually offer to buy your car without having seen it, or asking a questions.
• Be wary of dramatized stories about the buyer.
• Never share your personal information, banking information or credit card numbers.
• If you must do business with a distant buyer use a legitimate service: escrow.com
• High value cashier's cheque in exchange for your vehicle.
Banks will cash fake cheque and they hold you responsible, once the cheque fails to clear.